Saturday, May 07, 2011

My first capitol, Indianapolis! (July 2009)


View Larger Map

So here's the deal: This trip took place back in July of 2009. I always intended to start a blog about my trips, but just never got around to it.

Sitting home on a Friday and watching the weather, I decided the next day might be a good day to start my capitol/capital journey. I was still living on the north side of Chicago, so I had to pick my first trip carefully. So I went to Google Maps, and decided Indianapolis might be the best way to go. The very next day, I set off just after noon, in hopes of making it there in time for some daylight.

The trip out was interesting. If you remember, the summer of 2009 was unseasonably cold. Here I was, riding through rural areas of Indiana on a July day that never topped 70 degrees. It was a little chilly, considering most of the way the speed limit was 75MPH. Indiana does not have much in the way of scenery, so the ride was not very impressive.

As I neared the capital, I decided to stop and fill up. As I was at the pump, the man next to me asked if I was heading to the MotoGP. I had no idea what he was talking about. Turns out Red Bull was having a major motorcycle race in Indianapolis that weekend. Perfect timing!

I finally made it to downtown Indy just around 6PM, and it was crazy. Motorcycles outnumbered cars 5 to 1. I finally found the capitol, and made my way around to find a good spot to set up just as dusk was falling over the city. Unfortunately, I did not realize that I had pulled up BEHIND the building! Anyways, here's the pictures from that trip:




Here comes the best part of this story. Just after taking these pics, I turned around and headed home. I got about 50 miles out of town and stopped for gas. I'm pretty sure this is where I lost my wallet. I road another good 120 miles before I decided to stop again, and that's when I realized my wallet was no where to be found! I sat at this gas station in La Motte for about an hour before I built up the confidence to start begging for money. Here I was in full riding gear, standing next to a Harley Sportster, and giving a sob story about losing my wallet, and only needing about $5 to get home. This went on for about 45 minutes before 2 young guys pulled up and handed me a $5 bill! Finally! But it gets much better...

I had wasted a good 2 hours in De Motte, and should have been home by now. As I reached the border of IL and IN, it started to POUR. I pulled under an overpass, and was going to wait it out. I sat for about 15 minutes, and it started to let up. So I got back on the road just around midnight, and little did I know: 80 was bumper to bumper and shut down to 1 lane! Needless to say, I did not have the best time getting home. I was soaking wet, and put my life on the line riding amid the hoards of cagers after midnight on a Saturday. Nevertheless, 1 down and 49 to go!

Afternote: I never got my wallet back.

No comments:

Post a Comment